Must-Have Tools for Responsive Web Designing
Responsive Web Designing or RWD refers to making a website attractive, informative and easy to navigate. The process involves accurately implemented grids and percentages when designing a website so that no crucial element is overdone or under-exposed. With smartphones, tablets, pads, laptops and desktops around; a website needs dynamic features that adapt to different screen sizes. RWD grids make the screen images more flexible. These are some must-have tools for Responsive Web Designing, categorized under layouts, text and aesthetics:
A layout is the foundation on which the website rests. It has to be easy to navigate with well spaced text and designs. RWD involves splitting the site into grids to get optimum layouts. Here are some useful tools for designers:
- Fluid 960 Grid System – This tool is an upgraded version of the old 960 Grid System. It permits the designer to experiment and create better laid out designs. The layouts created will have a fixed width of 960 pixels. You can choose between 12 or 16 column layouts to place the text and images.
- Gridpak – This is a very designer-friendly web layout tool. You can specify the number of columns, width, padding, and other grid elements at the time of designing. Once you have input the specifications, the layout gets generated automatically. It does not give the designer as much freedom as Fluid 960 Grid, but it is easier to add content on this layout.
These tools are especially useful when you want design a website that is attractive without too many images. Two of the best must-have tools are:
- Lettering.js – When you want dynamic effects on the website a more radical designing tool is required. Lettering.js, a jQuery typography plugin, will give you all the freedom you want to control the size, shape and color of the font. This will enhance the aesthetic value of the website. Spacing between letters and lines can be controlled for a neater appearance.
- FitText – With FitText, another jQuery plugin, a web designer can create flexible text that will automatically resize itself to suit different screens. This is especially useful when creating a website suited for varying screen sizes. One can create rich textual effects to suit a variety of web-enabled equipment.
Once the layout and text are finalized, you can now focus on art work. Here are some tools that create fluid images:
- Masonry – When you want an all-in-one art tool for fluid images, Masonry will give you the freedom to be as creative as you like. The tool generates a floating array of elements that can be arranged horizontally first and then adjusted vertically to better aesthetic value. The arrangement becomes seamless, uncluttered, and with minimum gaps between different elements. The images thus created will automatically resize to suit the screen on which it is viewed.
- imgSizer.js – This is a simple code that generates resizable images on a website. It makes web browsing on smartphones and tablets a pleasurable experience as the images respond to different screen sizes automatically.
Where Responsive Web Designing is concerned, these tools will help a designer to create some of the most device-friendly and user-friendly websites.