There are ways following which you can recover from bad links and be back in the “Nice” list of Google. But before you get started with these, make sure that the reason of your trouble is really the bad links. Once you are certain that the links are the problem, you can take the necessary steps.
1. Give it some time and wait:In many cases it happens that you simply wait and see that the links are removed by webmasters quite quickly or the problem gets spotted by Google. Once it is clear that bad links are not your fault Google takes steps to resolve the issue.
In cases where bad links are your fault, like it was built by you or by someone hired by you, then too, links get devalued with time. A small fraction of bad links dropping out of the link graph over time can bring the balance back for you if it is an algorithmic penalty and the problem is minor.
For this reason the links which are creating harm to you, will lose their ability to harm because over time low-value links get dropped out of the link-graph naturally. This is why if someone builds a huge number of junk blog comment links, such blog posts can fall off the index eventually.
2. Remove the links:In most of the cases it happens that you can’t simply afford to wait. It is better to cut the links in such cases. But the problem that arises quite often is that you are not able to remove them because the sites are not under your control and you lack the login credentials as it is not provided to you by your SEO. Contacting webmasters can be a solution but when you need to do that for hundreds of links it does not sound practical.
Before removing all bad links, decide which links you need to remove. Have you ever thought that some links may actually help you!Since links get penalized by Google on the basis of patterns and in many cases the behavior on the whole drags you into trouble, this does not mean that every junk link is hurting you. Unfortunately, separating the bad from the merely suspicious one is incredibly tough. It is important though tough to separate the bad links from the suspicious ones.
3. Remove the page: In case you find out the links which are the biggest offenders, you may have trouble to remove them. For removing the links you have certain options. In case of low-value, deep page targeted links the disappearing act can be a good option.Removing the page completely and returning to 404 is the option in most cases. This way you will be able to neuter the links at the very target. In other cases where there is less severity of penalty you can make a permanent 301-redirection with which you can go to another relevant page and be able to shake off the bad links.
You are lucky when bad links are targeting a deep page, for those which are hitting the home page of the site, the situation is comparatively worse.
4. Create good links:This may be a good idea to get some high-authority, relevant, good links rather than waiting for the bad links to fade. This will bring the balance in favor of you. Building good links is a time taking process and advisable when you are on the border line of a penalty or facing a not so severe penalty. But when you suspect a severe penalty or in suspicion of a manual penalty where you have been hit badly, you cannot afford to go for link building.
In such cases you can opt for the following:
5. Make an appeal to Google:In spite of addressing bad links and making all efforts when you find no improvement in your rankings you can think of making appeals directly to Google. This can be done by making reconsideration request via Webmaster Tools of Google. For reconsideration you need to be honest, detailed and specific and make it clear that your act is what you mean and you have made a genuine effort. If Google finds that your case deserves to be reconsidered it will go forward to a Google employee.
6. Get a New Home:When all your efforts fail you have no other way out than starting over again, buying a new domain and moving the site. Although by doing this you will lose all inbound links as well as off-page ranking factors. You can consider the other option which is 301-redirecting to new domain. This process also involves some risks. When you have the advantage of getting bad links neutered, some of your good links can also be devalued.
Following the above mentioned tips you can be able to retrieve from bad links.